Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Save that fancy AA limp re-raise for no-limit

Talk about a tell, look at the action on this hand.

A tight/tricky Villain in UTG+1 limps and hero raises with JJ. It folds back to Villain and he re-raises; hero becomes suspicious of a big hand and calls. FLOP: 9-T-Q, Villain bets and hero just calls. TURN: 3, check-check. RIVER: 5, bet-call. Villain has AA.

Now, let's take a look and see what would have happened if Villain wouldn't have gotten so cute.

Villain in UTG+1 raises and hero re-raises. It folds back to Villain who caps, hero calls. FLOP: Villain bets, hero raises, Villain 3-bets, hero calls. TURN: Villain bets and hero calls. RIVER: Villain bets and hero calls. Villain would have collected 3 more small bets and 1 more big bet.

I realize that some very smart people like Abdul Jalib recommend limp re-raising with big hands under certain table conditions, but IMO it's never right in limit holdem. Save that play for the no-limit games with a LAG or two behind you.

3 Comments:

Blogger timprov said...

I should really comment here rather than on the LJ syndication. I posted this amusing article on (among other things) fancyplaying AA.

There are legitimate times to LRR in limit holdem. They just don't come around very often, and you're almost never limping intending to reraise.

Here's the situation I mean: you openlimp a medium pair at a usually loose table, get just one limper behind and then a raise clears everyone else out. If a reraise here will get rid of the limper, it's often a good idea.

4:37 PM  
Blogger WillWonka said...

I totally agree with you.. It happened to me the other day as I put in my blog. I had 99 and the guy did the limp re-raise. I hit my set on the flop and the betting was capped. An ace on the turn and he checked and then so did I. I did call his river bet. He asked me If he was playing with his cards face up. Realistically, he was. Doing a limp reraise in limit shouts out AA.

11:13 AM  
Blogger PokerSweetHome said...

Hey No-Limp,

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'll be adding you to my daily reads.

BTW: Although I currently live in London, my wife and I used to live in KC (midtown .. between 39th and 43rd on Wyoming).

Cheers,

Colin

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home