Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Save that fancy AA limp re-raise for no-limit

Talk about a tell, look at the action on this hand.

A tight/tricky Villain in UTG+1 limps and hero raises with JJ. It folds back to Villain and he re-raises; hero becomes suspicious of a big hand and calls. FLOP: 9-T-Q, Villain bets and hero just calls. TURN: 3, check-check. RIVER: 5, bet-call. Villain has AA.

Now, let's take a look and see what would have happened if Villain wouldn't have gotten so cute.

Villain in UTG+1 raises and hero re-raises. It folds back to Villain who caps, hero calls. FLOP: Villain bets, hero raises, Villain 3-bets, hero calls. TURN: Villain bets and hero calls. RIVER: Villain bets and hero calls. Villain would have collected 3 more small bets and 1 more big bet.

I realize that some very smart people like Abdul Jalib recommend limp re-raising with big hands under certain table conditions, but IMO it's never right in limit holdem. Save that play for the no-limit games with a LAG or two behind you.

1 Comments:

Blogger WillWonka said...

I totally agree with you.. It happened to me the other day as I put in my blog. I had 99 and the guy did the limp re-raise. I hit my set on the flop and the betting was capped. An ace on the turn and he checked and then so did I. I did call his river bet. He asked me If he was playing with his cards face up. Realistically, he was. Doing a limp reraise in limit shouts out AA.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home