Saturday, December 31, 2005

Avoiding Tilt


During my normal 5/10 LHE game last night, I suffered a brutal beat to a lag donkey who caught a 4-outer on the river to beat me out of a big pot. I 3-bet the donk preflop with 99 in LP and only he called. The flop was A-Q-9 and he check-called my bet. The turn brought a 4 and he check-raised, I re-raised and we capped. River Q, he bet, I raised, he re-raised and I called. He had AQ.

But then, an amazing thing happened. I didn't get upset at all - not even a little. If I had it to do all over again, I'd play the hand the exact same way. It's taken a couple of years, but I think I'm finally at that place where I truely care more about maximizing my EV than winning pots. As a result, I can avoid "suckout tilt" and remain focused on playing my A game. I invite you to do the same.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

His AQ has huge equity against your likely holdings on the flop. Your most probable holdings, given the betting, the cards he has, and the cards on the flop are AK and KK. He has you squarely on AK on the turn. He made a mistake and got lucky, but if you were in his position, would you have played his hand any differently?

2:13 PM  
Blogger Never-Limp said...

Yeah, I would have bet the flop and 3-bet if possible. He played it poorly.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Performify said...

Never-limp,

Tracked you back from your comment on my blog. Linked you up from my site.

You should also check out kcpoker.org (linked from my site), a site we use to organize home games and discuss strategy. Couple other KC poker bloggers on there as well.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home