Sunday, February 05, 2006

KC Home Game

A big thanks to Performify for hosting a sweet home game Saturday night. Deliciously juicy beer brats and a smattering of cold beverages were served before-hand to much delight!

The NLHE game got rolling about 6:30 and there were about 30 runners buying T1000 chips for $20 with a $20 re-buy or add-on available. I drew the eight of diamonds which placed me at the red felt table in front of and beneath the gigantic projection-screen TV in the basement. I introduced myself to the table and seating went like this:

Seat 1: Chris???
Seat 2: Nick
Seat 3: Mark
Seat 4: ME
Seat 5: Liz
Seat 6: Charles
Seat 7: John
Seat 8: Brad
Seat 9: Performify

Blinds started at 10/20 and play was tight as people were feeling each other out. It wasn't until blinds were 20/40 that I voluntairily played my first pot. I raised AQo UTG to T120 and both Liz and Brad called. The flop was TTx and I had to check-fold to a decent sized bet by Brad.

As the BB rolls around to me I look down at J9o and I get to see a free flop versus 3 players. On a Jd-Tx-6d board, I bet T125 and only Chris calls. The turn was the 8d giving me an OESD in addition to TP and I bet T125 again. Chris thinks awhile and reluctantly calls. The river was an offsuit K and we check it down. He has As-Kd...ouch, down to T650. By this time, Grant had already busted out, re-bought and busted again. He got razzed a little since he's an experienced, solid upper middle-limit player, but he was a good sport and eventually stepped in to deal our table.



I never got anything going and took the add-on after the first hour to bump me up to T1600. Then, with blinds of 40/80, Chris, Nick and Mark limp. I look down to find JJ and with so much dead money in the pot I push. John says, "I really wanted to see a flop with this hand" and disgustedly mucks as does everybody else. John asks to see a rabbit flop and it came 5c-6h-7h. John nearly goes bizerk as he would have flopped the nut straight with an OESFD with 8h-9h. That's why you raise your high pocket pair preflop!

Then, with blinds of 50/100, Performify opens for T300 in MP and it folds around to me in BB. I check my hole cards and find KQo and decide to call (we both have a little north of T2000). FLOP: Q-9-8 and I quickly move all-in. Performify says, "Stop and go, huh, I think I have you beat." He thinks for a long time and eventually mucks what I think is TT.

Shortly thereafter, an insane hand occured between John and Brad. John raised to T400 preflop and Brad re-raised to T1400. After a little urging by Nick, John decides to go all-in and it was TT against AA. John flopped a T and turned another for good measure which got a roar from the table and seemed to loosen everybody up. From that point people started dropping like flies.

As the blinds hit 100/200 and the table got short, I raised with KQ and AT and got it up to about T4000.

Before I knew it we were down to the final table with 9 spots getting paid in a pretty flat structure. We drew for seats and I again turned over an 8 (Liz got an A) which put me 3 to the right of her and the button. When my T300 BB came around, Tyler (in a Full Tilt hat) decided to move all-in for T1900 in EP. It folded to me and I had a tough decision with AJo. I got the sense that he was not overly excited about his hand, but that it was decent. After thinking it over for about 15 or 20 seconds I called. He flipped over ATo and my hand held up! I believe Liz busted next and before long we were down to 5. I was 3rd in chips behind Bill (a LAG) and Cujofan, a strong player who placed 4th in the 2005 WPBT event in Vegas.

With blinds of 200/400, Bill opens for T1200 as he often does and I happily re-raise all-in with AKo from the SB and everybody folds.

With blinds still 200/400, the lone remaing loose passive player (didn't catch his name) at the table limps with only about T3000 behind. I decide to uncharacteristically limp OTB with Kh-Js to see if I can hit a flop. The BB checks and the flop comes Jd-9d-8d. It checks to me and I throw out 5 black T100 chips. They both call but I'm forced to fold the turn when another diamond fell and Bill bet out.

Then, for some reason the loose passive player doesn't raise his AJs and Cujofan ends up busting him with 35o from the BB.

Blinds have now hit the max of 250/500 and I have about T4500 with 4 players left. There is a raise and an all-in re-raise in front of me and I make a sick lay down with 99. The hands were A9s and 66 but I would have lost to Bill's runner-runner flush.

Down to 3 now and I'm easily the short stack. I start moving in pretty consistently with hands like KTs, A7s and 55 to take the blinds and stay afloat. Then, I pick up TT OTB and move in again for T4750. Cujofan mucks but Bill insta-calls with K7s! I'm in excellent shape to double up but the flop brings a K and I'm out. Ugh.

In heads-up play Cujofan wins a nice pot with AK and takes a large chip lead. Then, he drops the hammer and Bill calls with A6s. The mighty hammer flops a 7 and Cujofan is the champion!





Congratulations Cujofan! I had a great time and hope to play with all of you guys again soon!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ma7son said...

Great write-up! We're glad that you could make it to the tourny. Nice job with your third place finish. See ya next time!

6:52 PM  
Blogger GrantMasterFlash said...

How do they expect you to make it out of the first level of blinds alive with only one rebuy?

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home